Saturday, September 26, 2015

Value

This evening Ruth and I headed off to the Value event hosted by Equippers Church Christchurch.
I received the invitation through the Champion Centre and this is what it said:
You are invited to Value - an annual night to celebrate and honour mums and female carers of children with special needs. Join us for an evening of pampering, nibbles, massage, facials, manicures and live music.

The above photos were taken on our drive in. What a beautiful sky to watch as a start to a lovely evening.
When I replied to the invitation they asked if I would be bringing my mother or sister with. As I don't have either here in NZ, I asked if Ruth could come with me. She does help a lot with Asher and attends all the session at Champion Centre, and learns along with me from the different therapists.
I knew it would help me to not arrive alone at the event, and they said that would be fine.
So it was a very special time for us to have together. And I was glad that Ruth could also get a "Thank you" for all the time she spends helping with Asher.
First we enjoyed a foot spar and foot massage.
And then we headed over to get our toe nails painted.
Then we got to have facials. It was nice that Ruth got to go with the young girl who was helping in this area.
The whole evening was just so incredible. When we arrived I thought we were at the wrong place. There were fairy lights up everywhere and men in suits and bow ties waiting with umbrellas to usher the ladies in.
As we walked in we were offered sparkling grape juice (in lovely champaign glasses - so it felt very smart indeed).
There were so many people helping to make this event happen, and it gave me goosebumps. So many people, giving of themselves, to treat us.
I think what made this even more special for me, was that it was mostly the people from the church that were volunteers. Well over 60 people, giving of themselves, in the name of Christ.
What a wonderful testimony of the Love of Christ - seen through their practical love to all the ladies tonight.
We also got a back massage and our hands massaged. Unfortunately there was just not enough time to get our nails painted, but one of the ladies who was paining toe nails, quickly put a layer of polish on for Ruth, while I chatted to the Pastor.

Half way through the evening they had a prize draw with some spot prizes. The pastor also spoke a bit about why they run the event and how children are a blessing from the Lord.
He quoted Psalm 127:3-5
"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are children of one's youth.
Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with the enemies in the gate."
And as a reminder of his message, we received a card with an arrow pendant as a reminder.
And because the event is held in the same venue as their church meetings, it was easy enough to let the ladies all know what time the services were the following day, and that they and their families were always welcome.
What an amazing evening on so many levels. I feel very blessed to have been able to attend.

No comments: