Monday, September 16, 2013

Apple crumble breakfast

A great idea I got from Kerry was to do some special things for breakfast. So with us having our traditional Sunday chicken roast for lunch I made use of the hot oven and cooked an apple crumble. I forgot to take a photo on the day and it got gobbled up very quickly for breakfast on Monday. I think this will become a new tradition - crumble breakfast on Monday. Thanks so much for the idea Kerry.
I like things quick and simple - so here is what I do:
Use a food processor / blender to chop up 4 apples (or pears) with 2 or 3 tsp cinnamon and a little bit of sweetener (I just use 2 tsp Xylitol with the apple). I don't put it on too high as I still want bits of fruit. I don't want the pieces too big though as I don't cook the fruit separately. So I just watch it and let it get to a point where I have nice moisture but still some pieces.
Place fruit mix into the dish.
Wash and dry blender and then chop up 1 cup of nuts (we LOVE walnuts but have done it successfully with almonds too when we ran out of walnuts).
Add 2 cups of oats and 2 tsp cinnamon and blend a little longer so that the oats are a bit finer (but not flour).
Put the oat / nut mixture in a bowl and rub in 2 to 3 Tbs honey and 3 Tbs butter.
Put crumble over the fruit.
Bake at 180 C for 20 minutes.
We eat ours cold for breakfast the next day with a bit of cream. Yummy. :-)
It also makes a delicious desert with whipped cream.

No comments: