Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pickled Fish

On Saturday I made Pickled Fish. It's my Dad's recipe and it's something both Brendon and I enjoy but I have not made it in years. Once it was cooked and cooled off I put it in the fridge in the garage and so this morning I reminded Brendon that the fish would be "ready" and so we all had some for lunch. Only Ruth enjoyed it out of the girls. Although Rachel and Hannah did at least try some. The recipe says "allow to stand for at least 3 days" and I always remember my Dad struggling to get it to last for even 3 days because we just enjoyed it so much as kids. So I don't know where those two girls missed the message. It's yummmmyyyyy. But as Brendon says.... "more for us". :-)

1 kg white fish fillets
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 onions (sliced)
1 rounded teaspoon curry (again - I use more because my curry powder is very mind)
1/2 tbs cornflour
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs chutney (again Mrs Balls' chutney comes into a recipe :-))
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper

Fry fish, then allow to cool.
Combine the vinegar and water and bring to the boil.
Add the onions and simmer until soft.
Combine the curry powder, cornflour and sugar and mix to a paste with a little cold vinegar.
Stir into the hot vinegar, with the chutney.
Add the bay leaves and season.
Simmer a few more minutes, then pour over the fish in a deep earthenware container.
Allow to stand for at least 3 days before using.

No comments: