Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Gluten free bread success

After a few trials I have finally found the perfect gluten free bread. It's simple in that it only has rice and tapioca flour and I love that I can use my bread maker again. Please note - I don't use the gluten free setting - but the sweet setting. And it works every time.
Wet ingredients:
1/4 cup honey melted in
1 1/2 cups warm water (it just needs to be warm enough to melt the honey)
1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
3 eggs
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
Then add dry ingredients:
2 1/2 cups rice flour
1 1/3 cups tapioca starch/flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon gelatin/ collagen (not the gelatin powder you use to make jelly)
1 Tablespoon xanthan gum (I have tried Guar gum and xanthan is much better)
1 Tablespoon dry yeast
Set bread maker to sweet and we use a dark crust.
Depending on the size and temperature of your eggs and the temperature of your room, the mixture can be anything from a normal bread dough consistency to really runny. Don't stress, mine have all worked out fine despite the difference in texture when mixing.
I do normally check it before the first "beep" to make sure all the flour has been included from the sides. Most of the time there is a bit of flour that has not been included, so I just use a small spatula to scrape that off the sides and get it included in the mix.
Enjoy. :-)

SAVE TIME NOTE: To save some time I have started making "pre-measured" packs of the dry ingredients (except the yeast). It doesn't seem to work well to include the tapioca flour, so I put that in first (from the dry ingredients list) and then add my pre-measured pack of the rest, then add the yeast.

PS: If you need a good source for gelatin and xanthan gum, check out iHerb. If you use this link (or the two mentioned above) you will get $5 off your first purchase (and I will get a small reward too, for referring you). Even with international postage they are cheaper on a whole range of products than buying them within NZ. And they deliver really quickly too.

No comments: