Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Granola

My friend Lynn posted the recipe for this Granola on her blog yesterday and so I decided to give it a try. It was delicious and even the girls and Brendon enjoy it. It's great to have a snack that does not have much sugar but all those other good things in it.
Thanks so much Lynn. :-)
Here is the recipe:
• 2 cups rolled oats
• 1 cup shredded coconut
• 1 cup sliced almonds or chopped peanuts *I used chopped walnuts
• ½ cup seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame etc) *I used those three and linseeds
• 1 cup chopped fruit (raisins, dried apricots, cranberries, dates etc) *I just used dried apricots and dates
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1/4 cup (55 grams) Demerara or light brown sugar
• 2/3 cup (160 ml) honey
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract *I forgot this as I normally do :-)
Turn oven on to 180 degrees and place the rack in the center of the oven. Grease AND line a cookie sheet with spray and baking paper.
In a large bowl mix together the rolled oats, coconut and nuts. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes while the oven is heating, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and transfer the oat mixture back to the mixing bowl, discarding the baking paper. Stir in the seeds, fruit, salt, and cinnamon.
Melt the butter, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla in a small saucepan, placed over medium heat. Once the sugar mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour over the oat mixture. With a large spoon or spatula, stir the granola, making sure all the dry ingredients are completely coated with the butter mixture.
Pour the granola into the greased pan and, with damp hands, lightly press the granola evenly into the pan.
Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes before cutting into bars, fingers or squares. *Once it was firm enough I tipped the granola out onto a cutting boards so that I could make nice cuts with my big sharp knife. Can be stored at room temperature for several days.

1 comment:

Nick and Lynn Clevely said...

Yours turned out really well - so neatly! I'm going to try hunt out some more 'healthy' recipes...I'll post them on the blog if or when I find them.