Thursday, December 31, 2009

Skills - old and new

This morning we made a marble cake. The last time I made a marble cake in this specific shape was for Rachel's 2nd birthday - a turtle for 2 - so she was quite excited about that. Hannah got to lick the mixer for the first time (normally I help her get some out the bowl). You can see she has not had much practice. :-)
Hannah took ages to get to sleep this afternoon and by the time she was asleep Ruth was up. So it was a good time to start taking all the old braids out.
The last lot lasted 3 months which was great. Her hair looked so lovely like this and it gave me the motivation I needed to keep going with the long sessions of hair dressing. I just wish it could stay like this.
She had gotten excited about bathing with Dad (to wash her hair) but I decided to rather leave that for tomorrow. She still got to bath with Dad though, so I tied up her hair. This photo makes me smile every time I look at it. It is a brilliant capture of the energy and fun Ruth brings to our home. You really are our little clown Ruth - and we love you so very much.
With our new schedule Hannah goes to bed at 7:30 while the older girls get "quite time" till 8. We do this because it does not seem to matter what time Hannah goes to bed - she will always talk for 1/2 an hour. So at least the older girls get to do something while she gets herself ready for sleep.
Ruth got this present from Bob and Lynn (our old neighbours) and has been asking to get it done so often. So finally we got to it and she did a great job of putting all the bits of play dough in.
And then I got to work with my first batch of home made fondant icing. I had a great time and was glad I could do all of this without any special tools. Although I think I would like to invest in a very long light rolling pin. It would make picking up the big section of icing much easier as you roll it onto the rolling pin and then unroll it onto the cake.
There was no special reason for the cake - just to test the fondant. But we get to enjoy it with friends tomorrow morning.

No comments: