Sunday, October 4, 2015

3D dinosaur cake

Hezekiah LOVES blue. He often talks about his "blue lion" but I decided that making a lion might be a bit tricky (and a blue one would just look a bit odd). So I asked him if he would rather like a blue dinosaur. He was thrilled with the idea.
I don't have any fancy cake making tools, so I just made a clay that I knew would dry out well (without needing to be baked). I used balls of foil covered in the clay for the legs. This made it easier to dry and nice and strong too.
I used wire to help hold the tail and head up, and supported them as they dried. I did these a week before so that they would be nice and hard when I needed them.
Then I put the cake on the "stand". On reflection - I should have made the board base a bit smaller than the cake. This would have made it easier to ice.
I put butter icing on the cake and frame as "glue". Looking back I realise I should have put a lot more on the clay frame as that would have allowed me to do more "sculpting" with the fondant.
Roll out the fondant. Ready made blue is much better than trying to colour it yourself. Dark colours are tricky.
Cover the cake and frame.
Add detail.
It's amazing how much those little pieces of white change it. :-)

10
Having a licorice pen is always handy. It was amazing how much that little dot in the eye created the look..
I used some coconut flakes and coloured them with cocoa for the ground.
One very happy little boy. :-)
He loved his dinosaur.

No comments: