Thursday, February 12, 2015

Wet, hair and food

Monday 9th saw a wet start to the day which we were all so very thankful for.
You can see how dry it is. It's been the worst drought in many years - and definitely the worst of our 7 years here.
Hezekiah just needed a jersey and his swimming hat and he was ready to go. He came in soaked - after having such a fun time.
I was really impressed with Ruth's first ever French braid. Well done Ruth.
And then it was Rachel's turn. :-)

Tuesday 10th saw Asher having a 1 minute Tonic Clonic seizure at 8am. She was happy to let Ruth cuddle her for her sleep and so I could get some things done. Ruth enjoys the cuddles too.
On Monday we got the results from Asher's hair analysis. We are thankful that there were no big intolerances that are already causing inflammation, but there were still a number of regular items on the list of things that should at least not be eaten every day for her. The advice we got was to do an elimination diet where we cut out ALL of the foods that had any reaction (even if small). Over the last 6 months her longest gap between seizures has only been 2 weeks, so we would do the diet for at least 3 but I am planning on 4 weeks. This will give us a very good indication if food is even aggravating her epilepsy at all.
Over the last 2 months she has had 21 seizures. So it really has picked up with her having 2 or 3 a week. We are going away this weekend, so my plan is to get my head around it all over the next few days and officially start next week Wednesday (after her doctor visit on Tuesday - and the day in town that this brings).
I did however start trying to cut things out already this week. I didn't allow myself to feel any pressure - but knew in my mind the items I would need to be avoiding, and so started to make changes as I could.
As I am still breastfeeding Asher, I will need to go on the same diet at her. Brendon will be starting a detox diet next week too (for his migraines) and as the big issue for us both is getting off coffee and dairy - we decided to start cutting out the coffee this week already. Dairy is also one of the items that is highest on Asher's list, so it will be good to get it all done together.
Above right: Rachel did a fish tale braid for Hannah today. Ruth acting the clown in the background. :-)
Thursday 12th saw Ruth back to brownies. She was so pleased it had started up and is very excited already about the upcoming Jamboree came (in January 2016).

No comments: