Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shape fun

Ruth and Hannah have both really enjoyed the fraction box that came in Ruth's last school posting. I was impressed with how Hannah patiently worked on it. I remember on one of her first tries I was busy in the kitchen and so I could just give her verbal helps (like "try flip it" or "turn it"). I think she ended up playing with it more over the last month than Ruth did. Ruth found it fun to try and mix up the colours. A lovely introduction to fractions (without saying anything about it - just playing with it and seeing for herself how things work and fit together).
Recently Hannah has really been enjoying the Geo Stacks. Her absolute favorite shape is the hexagon. I don't even know if she knows the name of any other shape - she just loves showing anyone the hexagons. :-)

No comments: