Tuesday, December 8, 2009

From Servant to Highly exalted

There may not be any passages in the new testament that mention Joseph in relation to Christ specifically, but there are still many things can are very similar. Being sent out by his father, being sold for silver pieces and then punished when he was Innocent. Joseph went from being so low to the 2nd most powerful man in Egypt.
Philippians 2:7-10 "(Christ) emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant.... He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow."
And isn't it beautiful how Joseph is given the name "Zaphenath-paneah" Gen 41:45 which could be interpreted as "Abundance of Life," "Saviour of the World," "Revealer of Secrets," "God's Word Speaking Life," "Furnisher of Sustenance," and so on. All of these names could also be taken as description of Christ Himself.
And then look at Judah who is willing to give his own life in place of his brothers. Genesis 44:33 "Now, therefore, please let your servant remain instead of the lad a slave to my lord, and let the lad go up with his brothers."
1 John 3:16 "We know love by this, that He (Christ) laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."
I had such a wonderful surprise this morning. I noticed when Brendon got up at 4am (his normal time) but was surprised when he came back to bed just before 5:30. I knew he had to leave by 5:30 so asked "don't you have to go in a few minutes". He calmly answered "No - I have the day off - Happy Birthday". What a lovely start to a very special day.
I had asked him yesterday if he could possibly come home for morning tea today so we could have the cake together. His answer had been "I should be able to" - so I was not even banking on it. What a blessing to have the whole day together.
The cake was scrumdillyumtious (thanks for the new word Mike).
And enjoyed by all at morning tea. We got a load of gardening done this morning which was great.
And Brendon and the girls washed the cars too. So a productive morning as well as just a great morning of being together as a family.
This afternoon we dropped the girls off at Bob and Lynn and headed to town for dinner and a movie (we have 4 free tickets to start using). I had an amazing smoked chicken salad with avocado, cashew nuts, brie and a lovely dressing. There was so much I eventually had to give Brendon a few tablespoons of nuts to help me get through it all (cashew nuts are his favorite). What is it about ladies and salads. :D He enjoyed a rump steak and we really had a lovely meal.
We watched "My sister's keeper" which was very thought provoking and tear jerking. It was a good movie. Then we did some grocery shopping (we can't not when we have travelled all that way) and were home by 11pm which was quite good.
I thank the Lord for the wonderful week I am having and for the special blessing that my family is to me. I am so very thankful.

No comments: